Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Days 2-8: Breathe....Just Breathe

So because of the large span of time that has passed, I'm gonna have to play a little catch up.

August 2nd - Tuesday
I think I started cracking up this day.  The kids and I sat at the house all day waiting for AT&T to show up and install our service.  We got a call at 10 am that the order had been entered wrong, but they would be there by 8 pm.  Yeah.  They never came.

The Dish Network showed up at 11 am...and said they couldn't do the install because we didn't have TV's.  Okay, I asked about that when I set up the install and they said it could be done....yeah, they were wrong.

Of course it was only the second day, so I got all of the kids registered for school.  Not OCD, am I?  Savannah gets to go to the high school for Geometry and Noah will probably go to the Jr. High for Algebra (we find out on Thursday night).  The kids are excited for school...Baylee can't wait to get a locker...she thinks she's pretty cool.

Oh, and did I mention the heat?  It was 102 degrees...and the heat index was 118.  Did we go outside into the pool?  No because we would have melted.

Humidity?  Yeah, it sucks.

We finally went out to dinner and on the way out, I dropped my iPod, shattered the screen and gave up for the day.  Sigh.


August 3rd - Wednesday
So we sat at the house again waiting for AT&T and again...no shows.  Really.  Many, many phone calls.  Many, many promises.  And I still didn't have service.  But don't worry, they would be there by 8 pm.  Too bad they weren't.

We finished Savannah's registration at school.  She signed up for Volleyball (I'm so glad she is brave, because I'm totally not).

But on the flip side, our stuff managed to show up at about 3-ish.  And the feverish unloading began.  We didn't even do anything and we were all exhausted at the end of the day...how does that work?  I'm guessing it was the heat that we were completely unaccustomed to.  It was down to 96 degrees, with a heat index of 109.  Oh, so much better.....NOT!!!!!!

We finally escaped for dinner around 9, and the truck was only half unloaded....what an unreal experience.

August 4th - Thursday
Yeah, more unloading.  The night before, we just handed our house key to the driver and said, "See ya in the morning."  It was probably safer for all of us if the kids were kind of out of the way while the major unloaded went on.  Amazingly, they finished at about 2, right before our first storm rolled in.

Since to us, everything looks like a tornado, we kinda huddled in the house for a while.  When the storm broke, we went and explored the furniture store.  WE LOVED IT!  (P.S.  Dave G...RC Willey totally needs to invest in antiques as show pieces).

We wandered through the store, checking out all of the amazing things they had.  They had a working antique Coke machine....I was drooling....that is on my list of things to acquire before I die.  There is also a bayou type set up with a working mechanical shark, kinda like the Tour at Universal Studios....only when the shark pops up, it sprays you....yeah, in the middle of the store.

AT&T was supposed to show up by 8, but we didn't believe them, so we didn't feel bad about leaving.

We had such a good time, we bought Noah a mattress (oh don't get your panties in a wad, that was why we really went, he didn't have one) and an entertainment center (that one was a surprise, but needed because of the layout).

Then we went home and started the horribly frightening unpacking processing.  By the time Felix got home, we had already filled 10 garbage bags with packing paper.

We did introduce the kids to Thai food that night (we have an in...the owner is our neighbor.  She's from Thailand and the food is AMAZING).  They all loved it and have begged for it again ever since.

We made Felix check us out of the hotel and pick up all of our stuff because we really wanted to start the 'settling in' process.

August 5th - Friday
The furniture was delivered, all while we were in the middle of TOTAL chaos.  Sadly the entertainment center had a GIANT crack in it and I had to send it back.  BUT, the furniture store is truly amazing and promised the replacement by the next day.

The washer/dryer and the guitars were unpacked.  But the washer/dryer are intimidating and it took me several days to actually use them.

So really, what can I say about Friday.  Other than....I called AT&T and told them off.  I had called the local cable company, they got us on the 'triple play' for Tuesday, so I was no longer tied to waiting for AT&T.  YAY!  I was really looking forward to telling them where to stick it, but they didn't even try and keep me as a customer....fine, take the wind out of my sails....unpacking hadn't already done that for me.

DirecTV did try really hard to keep me.  But I didn't feel bad not signing up for a 2 year contract.

August 6th - Saturday
Oh, let's see....what did we do today...Oh YEAH...UNPACKED.

And the new entertainment center came.  It was - BEE-YOU-TI-FUL.  I love it.  It's perfect for what I needed.

We took a break in the afternoon and took Felix on a tour of the awesome furniture store.  You know what, it's been a rough week and the furniture store is fun.  It really takes very little to entertain us.

And while we were there, we bought a side table.  I am not allowed to go to the furniture store anymore.  But the kitchen wasn't designed for people who cook and there just plain wasn't enough counter space, hence, the side table.

August 7th - Sunday
Okay, I'll admit it.  I was terrified for this day.  YIKES.

The ward is fantastic...very small.  It was a shock to go from 60 young women to 6.  From 100+ primary kids to 20.  A little intimidating.  I thought every one knew everyone before....UNBELIEVABLE!

Everyone was so kind and we felt very welcome.  But admit it...you can't be in that kind of setting without SOMETHING interesting happening so watch for it on my adventurous blog (when I have a little more time to do the story justice).

We also had one of the other 5 new families drop by to welcome us to the ward.  He plays guitar...so Felix already has a buddy.  The kids are adorable, so Savannah will be a sitter before long.  And they have a cutie-patootie baby who I will be able to snuggle with from time to time (although I don't know that Chloe will keep me from missing my Sophie and Sydnee).

August 8th - Monday
Felix left for New York.  Yup 7 days in a new state, 3 days in a new house and he already had to go.

So what did we do?  We UNPACKED.  As of this day, our 3 car garage is pretty much filled with flattened boxes and garbage bags full of paper.  There is so much I actually have to call and order a dumpster.

We have been discover the weird things that were broken during the move.  I'm still not happy about my pillow (especially since it was used as packing material for a TV), or my Disney platter.  Or for that matter, the fact that the arm was ripped off of Baylee's NITB (new in the box) 16 inch porcelain, collectible Tinkerbelle.  Yeah...REALLY NOT HAPPY.

It's pretty sad, but while we unpacked today all we could talk about was getting TV and Internet on Tuesday.  We love each other....but we have had enough.

So that catches you up to Monday night.  It's already Tuesday night (almost Wednesday), but I think Tuesday deserves it's own blog entry....so....we'll attempt to catch up tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment